“Dear Friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.”
Top o’ the morning my friends! I have to admit that I am in a bit of muddled mind this morning and it isn’t from too much green beer! I must rush off to do my recertification of ACLS (Advanced Life Support), so this will be short. My mind is full of all things “green,” though! I am thinking of the celebration of St. Patrick’s; google the real guy and the meaning, it’s worth it. I am thinking of the hint of spring we had Saturday when I woke to birds chirping and ran outside in shorts! I am thinking about renewal as Easter quickly approaches, despite the whipping wind and pouring ice/rain out the window!
Of course I can’t think of green very long without thinking of green smoothies! I will be mixing one up to go as I head out the door for testing. People are always asking for smoothie recipes and while I have many I rarely use them. Today I am going to share a quick list I got from a website a few years ago. My usual it to open the fridge, freezer and check the counter for what fruit, veggies and other goodness that might need to go in! I have to say I always enjoy stretching the dumping, and using a recipe with things that I would never have thought of putting together. There are many smoothies I drink that are not green, but anytime I can squeeze in a few more greens I do!
A little word of caution as you venture on the smoothie scene. It can be tempting to add buckets of fruits and other sweetness to allow you to sip up the green goodness, but I caution that you don’t want to overdue, yes it’s good sugars, but remember too much of even a good thing can get a little out of hand. That’s what I like about the list I am sharing. It shows a good ratio of 2 (fruits) to 1 (green) with added veggies that you wouldn’t always think of, like celery. Celery offers a good amount of natural “water” and it is good for your bones! If you don’t have a really good blender you will want to chop it up some before adding. On this list you will also find other greens that you can’t imagine ever adding… dandelion greens 🙂 Don’t knock it till you try it, is what I say! One of the best smoothies I had was when I was with my sister Cindy on a work/vacation and we were cleaning out the food in the fridge. We had a salad we had been eating on, onions and all. I won’t waste food, and salads don’t always travel in a cooler well… unless they are in a smoothie! so a blending it went, adding in some banana, pineapple and wow! We both were a little surprised how good that turned out!
Don’t forget the power of a smoothie and the greatness that it is the second easiest healthy fast food, only to be won out by grabbing and going with veggies or fruit straight from the garden!
1. 1 Banana, 1 Papaya, 2 leaves Swiss Chard, 2 cups water
2. 1 bunch Dandelions, 1 Banana, 1 Pear, 1 Mango, 2 cups water
3. 3 leaves of Romaine Lettuce, ½ an Avocado, ½ Fuji Apple, 1 Banana, 2 cups
4. 5 leaves Purple Kale, ½ Orange, ½ Fuji Apple, small piece of Ginger, ½ an
Avocado, Orange slices to decorate.
5. 1 cup frozen Strawberries, 1 Banana, 1 Mango, 2 cups water, 2 leaves Rainbow
6. 1 large handful of Spinach, 1 Banana, 1 cup frozen Strawberries, 1 Orange, small
piece of Ginger, 2 cups water
7. 1 young Coconut, ½ of a small Pineapple, ½ Pear, 5 Leaves of Romaine Lettuce
8. 1 cup frozen Raspberries, 5 leaves Red Leaf Lettuce, 1 Red Apple, 1 Green
Apple, ½ of a small Pineapple, 2 cups water
9. 1 large handful of Spinach, ¾ of Orange Bell Pepper, ½ an Avocado, 3 cloves
Garlic, 2 Tomatoes, 2 cups of water (Savory Smoothie)
10. ½ an Avocado, 2 Tomatoes, pinch of Cayenne Pepper, pinch of salt, ½ of a Red
Onion, 1 bunch Parsley, 1 Orange Bell Pepper, 2 cups water (Savory Smoothie)
11. 2 Bananas, 3 pieces of Celery, 1 head of Red Leaf Lettuce, 2 cups water
12. 2 leaves Purple Kale, 2 leaves Collard Greens, 2 Bananas, ½ an Asian Pear, 2
cups water, 1 cup frozen Raspberries
13. 1 cup frozen Blueberries, ¼ pound Spinach, 1 Orange, 1 cup water
14. 4 Tomatoes, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 1bunch Basil, ½ an Avocado
15. 1 young Coconut, carrot tops from young carrots, ½ an Avocado 1 banana, 2
NOTES: Don’t be afraid to make it your own, use what you have and remember to enjoy the journey!