My plan as always was to have this out on Monday. Alas, sleep and a few computer glitches has left this musing to come out on a Tuesday… say tempting Tuesday!
The heat of summer has hit just as kids are headed back to school and a shift in schedules for many cause a little increase in anxiety. Add to that the fact that while most of us have enjoyed a mild summer the increase in temps and lack of rain can get us a little “hot under the collar” in many ways.
I always try to embrace the heat, and find it ironic that I have started hitting the pavement again… walking not running yet and it is all being done in the heat! I admit I enjoy the occasional afternoon thunderstorm too though!
With all the changes going on of late in life, I find myself seeking those treats and challenges that keep me on an even keel in the mind, body, spirit connection. Getting outside is one of those things that help a lot! Drinking lots of water, and of course daily devo time and time for prayer and reflection often found on my yoga mat.
The other day I helped some friends with some moving. While I knew there would be a lot of people to help and food always motivates people to work (I promised not to subject them to kale smoothies if they showed up) I didn’t however promise I wouldn’t bring a healthy treat. I decided that the a big cooler of water and Raw Cashew, Hemp seed Lemon bars were just the right quick treat, that would give good protein power and a tasty refreshing taste in the heat. These bars come together so easy and offer a good dose of plant protein, a balance of Omega 3 to 6 fats, contains nine of the essential amino acids the body needs, and oh the slightly nutty flavor is so good! Add to that cashews that while high in fat, it’s good fat and they offer up more protein, essential minerals and are heart healthy.
Now that I have told you how good this are for you, I hope I haven’t discouraged you that they could taste good. Believe me this little powerhouse bites, satisfy your sweet tooth and the added lemon test offers up just enough freshness to send your taste buds soaring.
Lemon Kissed Cashew Hemp Bars (Raw, vegan, gluten and soy free)
Makes 12 bars (6 for a more generous snack)
1 cup cashews
1 cup pitted dates
1/3 cup hemp seeds
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
Pinch of sea salt to taste
1) Place the cashews in a food processor and process till ground up.
2) Add the dates and hemp seeds, pinch of salt and pulse repeatedly. Then, add the lemon and lemon zest and leave the motor on until the whole thing has formed a big, uniform, sticky ball.
3) Take a large sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper and place it over the bottom of a small baking dish. Press the mixture down into it, till it’s even in thickness.
Cover and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
4) Unwrap the “dough,” lay the rectangle flat on a cutting surface, and cut into 12 bars, or in to bite sized nuggets.
5) Wrap up individually and store in the fridge or freezer till ready to eat. I’m not sure how long they’ll keep, but I suspect up to two weeks is perfectly fine, and longer if you freeze them.
I usually double the batch and use an 8×8 pan, and cut into squares instead of bars. I got the recipe from Choosing Raw. http://www.choosingraw.com/sweet-snacking-lemon-kissed-cashew-hemp-bars/
I tell you these things went fast Sunday at the moving party! So while we are in the midst of the dog days of summer, days heating up, and ending sooner mix up a treat of summer freshness with these healthy bites. Add them to school lunches, but don’t forget to save a few for your own midday snack attack! Your taste buds will thank you!